Sunday, July 1, 2012

And I say it wholehearted I support #SudanRevolts




In the past two weeks or slightly more days ago, I learned a lot about myself and others.
An important development happened in my life, it is the spark of the Sudanese revolution. I found myself having the same hope, passion and fear which I felt in the 18 days of our Egyptian revolution.
One might be surprised, or wonder why is that?,
simply I feel that I belong to this country in the south of the borders, Sudan. And this is a very subjective claim, as I do not believe in the fallacy of objectivity and I believe that our interests and affiliations are built according to our socialization process, available information  and later on personal preferences.
 I am Nubian and I was raised in a house where Mama enjoys Mohamed Wardy songs, and my auntie neighbors are Sudanese and they have the nicest daughter ever and she was one of my favorite childhood friends. I had problems when I was young to understand why they are not Egyptians or why we are not Sudanese, why we are not the same in front of law, because in little Fatma's perspective we are the same. It was difficult to have a clear perception on the idea of an imaginary line cutting my Nubian community into pieces, in the north Egyptian Nubia and in the south Sudanese Nubia.
Years later I grew up to understand a bit about politics, actually I studied politics. So I get to know more about nation-state concept and how it was created through a very Euro centric perspective. It is just a treat for colonizers to enjoy equal shares of their victims’ wealth. Just have a look to the geometric borders of Africa, which show that the colonizers cut it into pieces regardless any ethnic or cultural or tribal ties between the nations, not the so called countries. And what really irritates that the newly independent African countries agreed through the African Unity organization to “guard and respect these borders”. This is about the context.
In addition to this, I have passion about studying countries where religion and power govern the society. That’s why I was fond of both Iran and Sudan were the best examples for my assignment in the faculty. I loved the struggles against militarization and theocratic rule. I really hate that the tough guys who have weapons invade the public space to change every aspect of life to be power related, where coercion becomes the rule.
And what I hate more the manipulation of the people by using the words of Allah and claiming that the Ayatt Allah or Sheikhs claiming that they the absolute truth or the one and only interpretation of the sacred texts, is just ridiculous and naïve.

in addition to the list of things i hated,  Sudan is the land of people who changed my life like the late Mohamed Mahmoud Taha, and Abduallahi Naiem who is my soul saver, because of his interpretations of Islam i kept my faith and finally the late Tayab Saleh who was my hero only because he deconstructed the notion of masculinity in his master piece, the season of migration to the north.
I never knew that what I hated in other countries will be my homeland’s destiny, gang of military junta and fundamentalists are fighting to control my beloved homeland.
In nutshell, I am not supporting Sudan because merely being Nubian, the ethnic background is a reason, but not the only reason, I support their noble struggle against militarization, fundamentalism, corruption, years and years of Human Rights atrocities, rivers of blood of war causalities and TYRANNY.
 And I say it wholehearted I support #SudanRevolts  

No comments: